The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of Bioptron light therapy on the physical properties and basic parameters (sperm motility and viability) of sperm of men in vitro and in vivo.
The experiment consisted of 2 phases. During the first phase (in vitro condition): Men of reproductive age (n=9) provided ejaculate samples in the laboratory of the Family Clinic "Reproductive Health Center" in Izhevsk, Russia. The total mobility of the sperms, the number of progressively motile sperms, the non-progressively mobile sperms, the immobile sperms, and the viability of the sperms were assessed, before and after exposure to polarized polychromatic Bioptron light for 8 min at a distance of 5 cm (using a Bioptron MedAll device).
During the second phase (in vivo condition): Ejaculate samples (n=4) were analyzed before and after photostimulation with polarized polychromatic light of the BIOPTRON Pro 1 device on the lumbosacral area from a distance of 10 cm for 10 minutes and perineum area from a distance of 10 cm for 5 minutes, for 10 days.
Single exposure of polarized polychromatic Bioptron light for 8 minutes on volunteers’ sperm in in vitro conditions caused the following changes in the spermogram:
- Increased total mobility of sperms by 3%
- Increase in progressively motile sperms by 9%
- Decrease in the number of non-progressively mobile sperms by 24%
- The number of immobile sperms decreased by 8%
- Increased viability of sperms by 6%
The effect of polarized polychromatic light of the Bioptron Pro 1 device in in vivo conditions (10 sessions) caused the following changes in the spermogram:
- Increased total mobility of sperms by 16.2%
- The number of progressively motile sperms increased by 24.8%
- The number of non-progressively mobile sperms increased by 16.7%
- Decrease in the number of immobile sperms by 27%
- Increased viability of sperms by 14,7%
Bioptron light therapy appears to induce an intracellular cascade of metabolic processes (including ATP and cellular membrane activation), activation of the lymphatic and circulatory system, which contribute to an increase in the functional status of spermatozoa. Studies conducted on volunteers in in vitro and in vivo conditions show a positive effect of polarized polychromatic Bioptron light on spermogram indexes after 10 days of use for 10 min at the lumbarsacral area and 5 min at the perineum, which opens opportunities to recommend this method of exposure for clinical, outpatient and home use in order to improve quality of sperm and enhance male fertility. The long term sustainability of these result however need to be determined.
Reference (available upon request):
- Kuznetsov S.F., Kanunnikov M.M., Vorobyeva A.S. Influence of Bioptron polarized light on the functional status of spermatozoa in vitro and in vivo conditions // Materials of scient.-pract. Conference "Actual questions of Experimental and Clinical Medicine - 2018". - St. Petersburg, April 2018. - P. 205